EASY CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
This recipe is wonderful! I always have cake mixes on hand for emergency desserts and I normally have all the other ingredients except for the whipping cream. I recently made this cake for a girlfriend's birthday (she's a chocaholic) and everyone loved it.
This cake is definitely for chocoholics like my family! Its wonderfully moist and chocolately. Once you get the topping over it, you can't tell its a boxed cake mix.
Its pretty messy though, because the chocolate is more like a syrup than a frosting. I used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate unsweetened cocoa and used only 3/4 cup of sugar. I think it would be just as good with only 1/2cup of sugar because its plenty sweet.
EASY CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
1 hour 10 mins
8.5oz / 240g dark cooking chocolate, preferably 70% cocoa, broken into pieces (Note 1)
1¾ cup / 385g caster sugar (superfine sugar) (Note 1a)
9oz / 250g / 2 sticks unsalted butter
1¼ cups milk
¼ cup oil
½ cup/ 45g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1¾ cups / 265g plain flour
2 tbsp coffee granules (optional)
1 cup heavy whipping cream (Note 2)
8oz/250g dark melting chocolate chips (US: semi sweet chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 160C/320F (fan forced / convection) / 180C/350F (no fan) (Note 3). Butter or spray a 22 - 25cm/9 - 10” spring form cake tin and line with parchment / baking paper. (Note 4)
- Combine sugar, butter, half the milk and chocolate in a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until the butter and chocolate has melted and sugar is dissolved. Do NOT let it simmer or boil!
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl. Whisk in oil and remaining milk.
- Whisk in eggs in until combined.
- Sift cocoa, baking powder, flour and coffee directly into the bowl. Whisk until smooth - some small lumps is ok.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The surface will crack (sometimes badly!) but sill subside when it cools and gets covered with frosting so don't stress!
- Remove sides from the cake pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
- Ganache (Note 5)
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- Place cream in a saucepan over medium high heat. When it is about to start simmering, remove it - don't let it come to a boil! Pour cream over the chocolate, shake the bowl to submerge all the chocolate under the cream. Cover bowl with a plate and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Stir chocolate with a spoon until smooth. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until thickened to a spreadable consistency like peanut butter.
- Spread over the cake - tops and sides. Use a teaspoon in a swirling motion to achieve the textured surface you see in the photos.
Read more >>> EASY CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE @ recipetineats.com