this recipe, Denise. It's a keeper for me. I can say that for me, it is just almost too much chocolate cake. I love that this cake is guaranteed to rise and have a fine texture due to the cake and pudding mixes yet it is lifted from being 'just a cake mix' by the addition of sour cream and the chocolate chips.
I found this cake very easy to make and it was a blessing in disguise that the top of the cake rose above the rim of my tin. When the cake cooled, I was able to cut a perfectly flat base for the cake.. and thus sample the cake warm. It was bliss when eaten with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.
I followed reccommendations of other reviewers by cutting the oil to 1/2 cup, adding 1/3 cup milk and cutting back the chocolate chips to about 1 1/4 cups, or a large bag of chocolate chips in Australian brands. I agree that this cake is enough without a glaze, but as I'm making this for a birthday (mine!!) - I will be topping it with the Satiny Chocolate Glaze from this website. This is a great recipe to have when you need a special cake quickly and with the minimum of fuss. Two thumbs up! I am sure the chocoholics in my family will polish this up tonight.
The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake
butter and flour for coating and dusting the cake pan
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups granulated sugar
1½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons salt
4 large eggs
1½ cups buttermilk
1½ cups warm water
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. (see cooking lesson below)
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
- Divide batter among the three pans. I found that it took just over 3 cups of the batter to divide it evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake meets the toothpick test (stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean).
- Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!.
Read more >>> The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake @ thestayathomechef.com